About the Office of Communications
The Academic Health Center (AHC) Office of Communications promotes and enhances the reputation of the University of Minnesota’s health sciences, showing how our schools and centers work together to improve the health of communities across Minnesota and around the world.
Key communications vehicles
In addition to strategy and support for units across the health sciences, the Office of Communications regularly produces these communication vehicles for the Academic Health Center.
- Advise and coordinate media relations opportunities to highlight AHC faculty locally and nationally
- Host Mini Medical School, a community engagement and education program held twice a year showcasing research and expertise from across the health sciences
- Coordinate AHC presence at the Minnesota State Fair
- Facilitate legislative and VIP tours
- Manage events for groundbreakings and other milestones
- Provide communications perspective at leadership and executive meetings
Work with the Creative Agency on a project
Strategic plan for communications
We will show how health sciences at the U touch the lives of all Minnesotans
The Academic Health Center (AHC) Communications Strategic Plan will help advance the goals and priorities of the schools, colleges, and centers we serve, as well as the broader goals of the University of Minnesota.
It will help us focus our efforts around our core mission, while increasing collaboration and support with University Relations and the health sciences as a whole.
The plan works to raise awareness of our land grant mission to train the next generation of health professionals, conduct research, support the state’s economic and workforce needs, and provide high quality care. Furthermore, we will show how health sciences touch the lives of all Minnesotans.
- Promote the University of Minnesota health sciences as stewards of Minnesota’s health.
- Support the strategic plan and priorities of the University, the Academic Health Center, and each of our schools, colleges, and centers.
- Promote the benefits of academic health care.
- Support the legislative request and demonstrate the ROI of investing in health sciences.
- Recruit, retain, and promote field-shaping faculty.
- Educate through storytelling
- Demonstrate our commitment to education, research, and care
- Show the benefits of an interprofessional approach
- Highlight our reach and connection across the state
- Help schools, colleges, and centers effectively and efficiently tell their stories
- Build trust and pride in our health mission and in the U as a whole
- Engage the U community around Grand Challenges, rural initiatives, and other priorities
- Media—statewide, national, and international
- State policymakers and statewide opinion leaders
- Students, prospective students, and families
- Potential patients and families
- Alumni, donors, and other advocates
- Professional/Trade associations or publications
- Minnesotans/General public
- U leaders, faculty, and staff
By telling stories that showcase how our AHC schools and centers work together to make a difference, we reinforce the importance of health science education, research, and clinical care in Minnesota.