The AHC PR team enjoys partnering with faculty and staff to tell stories and share news from the included schools, colleges, institutes, centers, and clinics. However, to do so effectively requires certain tools.
Guidelines most helpful to follow to prepare for publication with a press release:
- Notification of acceptance must be received by your PR liaison no less than two weeks prior to the initial publication. This includes early online release ahead of print publications.
- The final or latest draft of the paper needs to be shared with the AHC PR team member working on your piece. A final PDF is required by the time a press release is scheduled for mailing.
- Experts quoted in the release must be available for media in person and by phone the day the press release or expert alert is scheduled. If the timing of the release or alert is for late in the day, time must be available the following day.
- Press releases will be considered ready for sending when all quoted researchers have approved facts and quotes. Once a release is considered a final edit, no further edits will be made unless there is a factual or legal error within the piece. Edits should be completed a minimum of 4 hours prior to release.
Other guidelines followed by the AHC PR team:
- The AHC PR team utilizes the AP Style Guide. All pieces will be copy edited for this style before posting or sending, and submissions from other units will be adapted to this style.
- Press releases are not sent about grant announcements, awards, honorary titles, or professional organization awards. Please contact your academic unit’s communicator to find ways to share this news with your colleagues or check our other ways to share.
- Marketing is handled within academic units, including event marketing and promotion. See our other ways to share for potential options on promotion for marketing and events. If your event may be a timely way to tell a larger story, please schedule a consultation to discuss options with your PR liaison.
- Patients are not approached or provided to media without at least 24 hour notice of the request, unless the patient initiates the contact with the AHC or University of Minnesota Health PR team or the media.
If your unit is aware of a patient story being pursued by a media outlet without a PR contact involved, please contact David Martinson at firstname.lastname@example.org.