Recognize Faculty Honors and Awards
Checklist for recognizing honors and award to faculty
The following is a checklist outlining how Academic Health Center (AHC) units can recognize awards given to University of Minnesota faculty. While not every award will need a press release, there are internal and external channels for recognizing a faculty member’s accomplishment.
AHC Unit = college/school, center/institute or program
AHC public relations = PR or media relations coordinator working with your unit
- AHC Unit communicator posts on unit's Facebook and Twitter accounts. Include name, photo and brief description of award/honor.
- Notify AHC public relations liaison with a link to the Facebook post or tweet
- AHC Unit post brief update on unit’s web property. This could be on the home page, announcements, news, and/or other relevant section.
Internal University of Minnesota announcements
AHC Unit communicator sends brief description with name, award description and links to:
- AHC News Capsules – Monthly email from Vice President for Health Sciences: AHCcomm@umn.edu
- University of Minnesota Brief – Weekly University-wide email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- If the recipient as an M Health clinician, send to email@example.com
- For additional resources, consult University Relations’ Resources for Internal Communications.
AHC Unit communicator to consult with AHC public relations liaison on whether award should be announced via a press release. Again it is important to remember that most honors will not warrant a press release (anecdotally, the PR coordinators can only think of one release that garnered media coverage). Consider whether award has:
- National significance
- Local/regional significance
- Appropriate for reporters with beats that cover the faculty member’s work
AHC Unit communicators could also send a brief release to local business outlets that report professional announcements, including:
- BizWomen with the Twin Cities Business Journal (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Twin Cities Business Journal (email@example.com)
If AHC PR team issues a press release, it will be posted on the newsroom section of health.umn.edu.
- AHC Unit update award on faculty member’s web "bio" page
- If the award is relevant to their status as an expert spokesperson, consult your AHC PR liaison to include the award on the bio under the AHC Newsroom Experts list