Building Access

All Research Building Management Services buildings are access controlled with card readers. People with approved access are able to use their U Card to gain access to the building. People without access need to check in at the information desk for assitance with entrance to the buildings

Prior to being granted building access, the following need to be completed:

  1. Employee/Student Access form: Completed by the individual needing building access. They will need their U Card to complete this step.
  2. U Card Verification: Access applicants may bring their U Card to one of our information desks to have their U Card information verified by one of our staff members after completing the form.
    1. NOTE: To help minimize the risk of Covid-19 transmission: RBMS will accept email verification of your U Card. To use this contact free option: please email a clear photo of both the front and back of your U Card to one of our information desks. Please be sure that ALL numbers are easy to read including those along the edge of the card. 
  3. Required training: All training must be complete to gain access to RBMS buildings.
  4. Supervisor Approval form: To be completed by Faculty or Principal Investigator (PI), lab manager, program director, Department Administrator, or a designated approver.

Important Notes:

  • People whose primary workplace is in another (non-RBMS) building must have a PI, director, or manager within an RBMS building submit the Access Approval Form for them.
  • Only PIs, managers, or directors with assigned space within the specified RBMS building can submit the Access Approval Form.
  • If you do not have the UCard information on hand for the individual requiring card access, please enter "N/A" into the form field for U Card and/or Smart Card numbers on the Supervisor Approval Form. RBMS staff will clarify and verify their U Card/smart card #'s through one of our information desks.

Principal Investigators, managers, and/or directors of facilities within RBMS buildings may designate a person on your staff to act on your behalf by sending an email delegating this authority to your building coordinator.

Access to Research Animal Resources (RAR) space

Access into RAR space is requested through and handled by RAR. Visit the RAR website for more information.

Vendor Access

Vendors may obtain a vendor access U card at a cost of $25/card, with approval of customers residing in an RBMS building. For more information, please contact the 717 Building Coordinator.

Removing access for an individual

If someone in your group no longer requires access to the building(s), please send an email to your building's contact as soon as possible. We will deactivate their U Card. If the person has keys for your facility, please ensure they return their keys to the building's information desk prior to departure from the U.

If you wish to have an immediate removal of access please call your building coordinator.