New Employee Resources
Welcome to the Academic Health Center!
The Academic Health Center (AHC), founded in 1970, comprises six schools and colleges that train medical and health professionals. It’s also home to centers, institutes, and labs that focus on specific fields of study, and has strong partnerships with University of Minnesota Physicians (UMP) and Fairview Health Services and clinics. The AHC is located on University of Minnesota campuses in the Twin Cities, Rochester, and Duluth.
Learn more about the Academic Health Center and what makes it unique.
Before you arrive
Familiarize yourself with AHC and a few University resources.
- Read the latest AHC News Capsules and join AHC on social media (see links in footer.)
- Parking and Transportation
- Campus maps - Learn how to get around the Twin Cities, Duluth and Rochester campuses.
- Employee benefits - Review health plans, learn about tuition benefits and employee discounts. (Ask your new manager what your administrative type is; e.g., civil service or bargaining unit or P&A)
- Gather identification (e.g., Social Security card or passport) needed for completing form I-9 Employment Eligibility.
After you arrive
Begin by reviewing the First Day, First Week, First Month... site from the University’s Office of Human Resources. We encourage you to schedule your New Employee Orientation as soon as you are able. Download the checklist for new employees from the Office of Human Resources for suggestions on items to discuss with your new department.
- Bus pass: Metropass is discounted for faculty and staff
- Faculty and Staff Contract Parking - Note: Contract parking for University of Minnesota Medical Center-Fairview staff is handled through the hospital parking department. Call 612-273-6674 for further information.
- Accessing or changing your Internet ID and password (x.500)
- AHC-IS Helpline: 612-626-5100
When calling the helpline, please be prepared to provide your name, telephone number, the device number of the computer, and a brief description of the problem or request.
- AHC computer policies and procedures
Pay and benefits
- Trainings: Reporting Time and Submitting Absenses (requires U of M sign-in)
- Employee self-service for I-9, W4, benefits enrollment, direct deposit, pay statements, vacation and sick leave balances, etc.
- Pay days and pay periods
- Holiday Calendars
- Sick leave
- Vacation leave
- Applying for and using a Regents Scholarship (tuition benefit)
- Employee perks and discounts
- Manage your email account
- TXT-U emergency notification registration
- Business cards (Ask your manager or supervisor before placing orders)
- Addressing and Mailing
- Interoffice mail requires a special campus code for delivery: Campus Delivery Mail Code Search.
- Nameplates (Ask your manager or supervisor before placing orders)
- Office ergonomics assessment to maximize your productivity by adjusting your workspace to your individual needs
IDs and Badges
- Upon hire, all employees are issued a U Card which can be used at the Libraries, Rec Center, Northrop discounts, and as a general University ID.
- U Card ID: Twin Cities, Duluth, Rochester
Professional development and personal wellness
- Wellness and worklife, offered through the University Office of Human Resources (Duluth program, Rochester program)
- Training and organization development, offered through the University Office of Human Resources
- Financial management training, offered through the University Office of Human Resources
- Technology training, offered through the Office of Information Technology
- HIPAA training, offered through Health Information Privacy and Security Office