Foreign national checklist

New foreign national faculty, grad students and residents need to contact these offices in the order noted below.

1. International Student and Scholar Office

Note: this step may not be necessary for certain faculty and staff. Undergrads, Grad Students, and Residents must complete this step.

Get more information

2. Social Security Administration Office  

1811 Chicago Avenue South, Minneapolis 
Phone:  1-800-772-1213 
Hours:  9:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.

  • Apply for social security number and get a receipt for the application.
  • Double check the address used on the application. Social security cards sent to the wrong address are destroyed. If necessary, you may use the departmental payroll address.

Note: Be sure to bring along your passport, I-94, Employment document (I-20, DS-2019, I-797, EAD) and a signed offer letter or verification of employment form

**Note:  The University recently changed its policy so that visiting students and scholars no longer need to visit the SS Office prior to visiting Central Payroll.  They do still need to apply for the card/number though.

3. University of Minnesota - Central Payroll Office 

319 15th Avenue SE Minneapolis, MN 55455 - Suite B20 Don Howe Building
Phone: 612-624-8647(4-UOHR), Option 2 
Hours:  8:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.

  • Bring original passport, most recent I-94, Social Security card or receipt, and other related forms.  For example:
    • I-20 for F1 Visa
    • DS-2019 for J1 Visa
    • I-797 Approval Notice with I-94 for H1B Visa
    • EAD for F1 OPT and J2 visa holders
    • Offer letter with start date, department, supervisor information
  • Complete all appropriate payroll forms as requested by Central Payroll.
  • Complete all tax treaty forms if applicable.
  • Keep the receipt given to you from Central Payroll to bring to the departmental payroll office.  This receipt will be used to appoint you on the University's payroll system.

4. Departmental Payroll Office 

  • Return receipts from the University Central Payroll office and the Social Security office.
  • Complete any remaining forms (direct deposit forms, human resources information form, etc.)